Bullards Norwich Dry Gin named best of its kind in the world just after a year since it was first made
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
A Norwich company is celebrating after their dry gin was named the best of its kind in the world just over a year since it was first distilled.
After being named the best London dry gin in the country last year Bullards Spirits beat off competition from across the globe to win the accolade at the 2017 World Drinks Awards.
Bullards is a name which has been synonymous with Norwich for some 180 years, starting off as a brewery in the 19th century.
And after a 30-year hiatus from 1985, the brand was revived in 2015 by Russell Evans, who had worked for the company in the early 1980s.
As well as bringing life back into beer brewing, the business turned its attention to spirits, and distilled its first Norwich Dry Gin in December 2015.
And now with this top accolade under its belt, Bullards Spirits is hoping to put its flagship Norwich Dry Gin firmly on the map at home and abroad.
'The award for the World's Best London Dry Gin in the World Drinks Awards has come as a complete shock, but a huge pat on the back for everything we've achieved in just a year since we launched,' said Russell Evans.
- 1 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 2 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 3 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 6 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 7 Critics hope to deal significant blow to controversial NDR Western Link
- 8 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 9 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 10 Teenage girls in hospital after unprovoked mob attack
'Our distiller, Peter Smith, is one of the youngest distillers in the UK and has so many innovative ideas and expertise to bring to our brand. We only launched a year ago, but already we are achieving more than we thought.'
Bullards Spirits is the only gin distillery in Norfolk and the first to use Tonka Bean in its recipe. Following this prize the brand is looking to make its mark nationally and internationally and has even undergone a modern rebrand to give it greater presence.
'Our new labels really reflect the quality and USP of Bullards Gin and prove that we are now ready to target new customers across the UK and beyond, both in the on-trade and in retail,' added Mr Evans.