Bearded man called a ‘terrorist’ by Prince Philip is Dersingham father-of-two Alaster Ashby
- Credit: Archant
A bearded man who Prince Philip jokingly called a terrorist said he was not offended by the jibe.
Alaster Ashby, 40, from Dersingham, told The Sun newspaper he felt the Duke of Edinburgh was 'just having a laugh'.
On New Year's Eve, Mr Ashby was stood in the crowd at Sandringham with his wife and daughter watching the Royal family attend church.
As Prince Philip walked from Sandringham House, he noticed Mr Ashby in the crowd, pointed at him and asked: 'Is that a terrorist?'
MORE - Prince jokes: Is that a terrorist?The builder and dad-of-two laughed off the joke, adding: 'He was having a laugh.
'Some people were saying he had mistaken a hipster for a terrorist, but I'm not a hipster — I don't know what one is.
'If you have a beard you get stigmatised as a terrorist, that's the trouble.'
- 1 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 2 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 3 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 6 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 9 Key worker couple celebrate 'fairy tale' day after winning £32,000 wedding
- 10 A Hunstanton institution closes after almost 50 years
His wife, Catherine, 38, reportedly thought the joke was 'a bit close to the line'.