Bearded man called a ‘terrorist’ by Prince Philip is Dersingham father-of-two Alaster Ashby
- Credit: Archant
A bearded man who Prince Philip jokingly called a terrorist said he was not offended by the jibe.
Alaster Ashby, 40, from Dersingham, told The Sun newspaper he felt the Duke of Edinburgh was 'just having a laugh'.
On New Year's Eve, Mr Ashby was stood in the crowd at Sandringham with his wife and daughter watching the Royal family attend church.
As Prince Philip walked from Sandringham House, he noticed Mr Ashby in the crowd, pointed at him and asked: 'Is that a terrorist?'
MORE - Prince jokes: Is that a terrorist?The builder and dad-of-two laughed off the joke, adding: 'He was having a laugh.
You may also want to watch:
'Some people were saying he had mistaken a hipster for a terrorist, but I'm not a hipster — I don't know what one is.
'If you have a beard you get stigmatised as a terrorist, that's the trouble.'
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 7 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 8 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 9 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 10 Indian variant could hamper roadmap, Norfolk health expert says
His wife, Catherine, 38, reportedly thought the joke was 'a bit close to the line'.