Brutal attack after town carnival

A man is recovering from a brutal and unprovoked assault by teenagers as he walked home from a town carnival. The gang of 13 to 16-year-olds could have killed the 42-year-old as they attacked him with a metal bar and a fence post just 250 yards from his home in Beccles on Saturday night.

A man is recovering from a brutal and unprovoked assault by teenagers as he walked home from a town carnival.

The gang of 13 to 16-year-olds could have killed the 42-year-old as they attacked him with a metal bar and a fence post just 250 yards from his home in Beccles on Saturday night.

The male nurse was left with two gashes in his head, one of which needed eight stitches, and cuts and bruises to his back, chest and arm.

Yesterday, he spoke out about the attack, but does not want to be named as one of his attackers, aged 16, said: “I am going to find your family and I am going to come round and kill you and cut them.”

Another, a teenage girl, told the man, who is married with a four-week-old baby: “Your kids are going to turn out just like us anyway.”

He is convinced he could have died as he was repeatedly struck on the head with a fence post were it not for a female passer-by who pretended to be an off-duty police officer and moved on the 15 to 20-strong gang.

Most Read

The 5ft 9in man had been watching ska band Bad Manners perform during Beccles carnival weekend and was walking home at 12.10am when he was approached by three youths.

He believes they used text messages to call friends to join them, and thinks the vicious assault on Rigbourne Hill may have been videoed on a mobile phone. He was attacked by two teenagers, one thought to be a 16-year-old boy, while the others stood and watched.

He said: “It was certainly planned that they were going to kick somebody in. This chap swung a metal pole at my face, and I caught it off him and threw it in the hedge. They threw a push bike at me, and while that was happening they started to hit me with a fence pole.

“I caught the first blow with my arm, and if it hadn't been for my watch I would have broken my wrist. Then they hit me across the lower part of my back and that brought me to my knees.

“I felt more impacts across my back, spine and ribs. I was physically stunned. Then I had the blows across my skull. The third one came in and I was pretty well out for the count by then. I remember thinking 'I am never going to see my son grow up'. I thought I was going to die.”

He said he wanted to thank the female passer-by, whose identity he does not know, for saving his life.

“She saved my life. I have got no doubt he would have carried on hitting me. If that had been on the side of my head, the temporal lobes, I would have had no chance. If they had hit me lower down I would have broken my neck.”

Although he weighs 12 to 13 stone and is fit and active, he has been left afraid to go out at night. He has also been unable to drive since the attack because of the injuries to his head.

He said: “I am quite distressed and depressed. I have spent a lot of time sitting on my own crying. I am not going to walk down the road after 9pm now. I am only just going back to work after annual leave and paternity leave and I don't really want to go. My head is killing me and I don't want to leave my wife alone.”

He wants parents in Beccles and the wider community to think about young people's behaviour.

He said: “I would like parents to think about what their kids are doing. They were attacking someone their parents' age. When I was 16 or 17 we had little gangs and there were spats between them, but this was premeditated assault for no reason than to hurt someone.

“I cannot fault the police or the ambulance, but I think we need to change policing so if there is a group of teenagers together they are broken up.”

Police spokesman Anne-Marie Breach said: “We are investigating the incident. We would appeal to any witnesses to come forward and contact Beccles police on 01986 835300.”

She said there were two arrests at the carnival, one of a 35-year-old man arrested for being drunk and disorderly and in possession of cannabis, and another man wanted by Essex police.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter