Chess club celebrating ‘outstanding’ national award
- Credit: GREG TEBBLE
Chess players are celebrating after a Norfolk club received a national accolade.
Broadland Chess Club, which meets Monday and Wednesday nights at the King's Head in Coltishall, has been named as the English Chess Federation's (ECF) Club of the Year 2018.
Sandra Hughes, publicity officer for Broadland Chess Club, said: 'This is an outstanding achievement for the club which has now grown to be one of the 10 largest clubs in the UK.'
When deciding on which club should win the award, the ECF said: 'There were five excellent nominations for club of the year this year. However, the citation from the Broadland Chess Club in Norfolk stood out from the others.'
The Broadland club was formed in 1994 and during the 2017/18 season it won the Norfolk Chess League Division 1 title and Rapidplay Handicap Cup. It also has a strong junior club.
You may also want to watch:
Search Broadland Chess Club on Facebook for details.
- 1 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 2 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 3 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 4 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 5 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 6 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 7 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 8 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 9 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 10 A47 tailbacks as roadworks move west near Norwich