British comedians name Alan Partridge as their favourite male comedy character
- Credit: Archant
Alan Partridge has been named as the favourite male comedy character of British comedians, while the moment the DJ met his biggest fan in I'm Alan Partridge has been chosen as their favourite scene.
David Baddiel, Jenny Eclair and Alexei Sayle were among the 100 professional comics who chose their favourite shows, one-liners, characters and actors.
Radio DJ Partridge, played by Steve Coogan, and Patsy Stone from Absolutely Fabulous, played by Joanne Lumley, topped the list of favourite male and female comedy characters and a gag from Dad's Army, when Pike is asked his name by a German prisoner, has been named favourite one-liner.
Fawlty Towers scored a third of the comedians' votes to be named favourite sitcom, with I'm Alan Partridge and Blackadder following behind.
The Office and Father Ted rounded out the top five.
You may also want to watch:
The comics were polled to celebrate the launch of We Have Been Watching, a series in which comedians and comic actors including Ricky Tomlinson, Larry Lamb, Sally Phillips and Meera Syal watch and comment on clips from classic sitcoms and sketch shows.
Comedy critic Bruce Dessau, who compiled the survey, said: 'We are well-known across the world for our 'British sense of humour', which is shown at its best in many of our best-loved and timeless comedy classics.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 10 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
'The art of comedy is almost impossible to define, but many of these characters, lines and sitcoms are brilliant examples of the very best in the history of British TV comedy - many of which can all be enjoyed again in a fresh take on the new series We Have Been Watching, as some of the top comedy folk share their views on the funniest moments telly has to offer.'
• We Have Been Watching starts on Gold on January 4 at 8pm.