Briston man ‘could have died’ in bungalow fire
- Credit: Archant
A man could have died if he had not been woken by his smoke alarm after an electric fire caught light.
Firefighters from Holt and Sheringham were called to a bungalow in Plumb's Close, Briston, on Monday afternoon.
They used a hosereel jet and breathing apparatus to deal with the fire, which had broken out in the lounge of the property.
A man who was in the room at the time escaped after his smoke alarm went off.
Stuart Horth, head of community safety at Norfolk fire service, said: 'He was asleep in a chair and an electric bar fire caught light and caused a fire in the room.
'When he woke up, the room was full of smoke. There was quite a lot of smoke to the point he was concerned he wouldn't get out, so there was a real chance he could have died.'
Mr Horth said as well as having smoke alarms, people should plan how they would escape from their homes in the event of a fire.
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 3 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
- 4 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 5 7 pubs up for sale or rent in Norfolk
- 6 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Blackpool player cites Norfolk footballer as inspiration after coming out
- 9 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 10 Norfolk glamping site with natural pool named among UK's best newcomers
'Imagine waking up in a smoke-filled room with a fire alarm going off,' he said. 'You don't want to be thinking what am I going to do now, where am I going to go.'