‘A sad time for musicians in Norwich’ - readers react to Brickmakers announcement
- Credit: EDP pics © 2011(01603) 772434
The popular Brickmakers pub in Norwich has become the third pub this week to announce that it is not renewing their lease.
And readers have reacted with sadness to the news. Here are some comments received on Facebook and Twitter following the statement:
David Finlay - 'Shame, these guys provided a superb venue for new local bands, well done to them for all of the hard work.'
Denise White - 'A sad, sad time for musicians in Norwich.'
Ben Baldwin - 'Never!!! Always seemed a really popular venue. Even back in the 70s.'
Dan Fisher - 'This is such a shame. The local pub is becoming a dying breed. Sad to see.'
Marion Ashford - 'So sad, a good place to meet friends & listen to live music.'
MORE: Brickmakers becomes third Norwich pub in a week to announce lease will not be renewedNatalie Lorraine - 'Gutted.'
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 3 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 4 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 5 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 6 Car boot sale to return after five years with up to 200 pitches
- 7 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 8 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 9 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 10 'Man with a van' fined for dumping waste in village
@ZH956 - 'Oh my goodness! That completely surprises me because it's such a popular music venue.'
@UKHarpists - 'One of the most vibrant live music venues in Norwich'
David Newton - 'Became a legendary place in Norwich for live music.'
June Muskett - 'Goodness if Brickmakers close you do wonder how many pubs in Norwich are safe.'
Alan Clarke - 'What can be done about this? Words of sympathy are fine but after a fight is lost. This will be a terrible blow to the Norwich music scene which is already poor by most major cities standards, everything should be done to try to prevent it.'
Paul Wortley - 'So sorry to hear the news, Brewerys are destroying live music venues and putting the cost of a regular pint out of reach of the ordinary working man....disgusting.'
Sarah Reeve - 'Heartbroken.... you guys have done such a service to the reputation of the pub and forged a real community and family atmosphere whilst running what I believe to be a totally unrivalled music venue.'
Jim Hedra - 'You did almost everything that a Venue could and should do, you're all awesome, were gutted but also proud for you and for running the most open minded Rock Venue in Norwich since the Oval days, thanks for giving us something valuable to our memories!'
Do you have any memories of The Brickmakers in Norwich? Leave your comment below