Brentford penalty miss against Norwich City prompts police in stands to tweet they were almost ‘assaulted’
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
There were four goals scored during Norwich City's comfortable win over Brentford in the Carabao Cup but it is a penalty miss that has got everyone talking.
The Canaries' ran out 3-1 winners in the third round tie at Griffin Park thanks to a double from Mario Vrancic and one from Josh Murphy, but it was a first-half penalty miss by Brentford that has sent social media flying.
Yoann Barbet blasted the spot-kick over the crossbar - and nearly into a police officer who was on duty in the stands.
Officers from the Metropolitan Police Service's Football Unit (MPS) had been filming in the crowd and had to take avoiding action when the ball flew into the stand.
The MPS Football Unit tweeted: 'Almost an assault on police at Griffin Park tonight! #TerriblePen #BrentfordFC #OTBC'.
You may also want to watch:
City will now be one of the names in the draw for the last 16 which will be made on Wednesday (September 20) night.
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 4 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 5 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 6 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 7 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 8 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 9 Banham Zoo welcomes birth of two tiger cubs
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?