Breckland towns prepare to light up for Christmas
- Credit: Archant
Towns around Breckland are preparing to herald in the festive season with the switch-on of their Christmas lights.
This weekend Thetford, Watton and Swaffham will all be switching on their town's lights with festive refreshments and entertainment to mark the occasion.
Thetford's Christmas lights will be switched on at 6.15pm on Friday.
Ancient House Museum will be hosting a Victorian Christmas Mystery from 5pm to 8pm. There will be a craft and gift fair and Santa's Grotto in the Guildhall and live reindeer outside King's House from 5pm.
Watton's lights switch-on will be rather more musical. Taking place on Sunday from 1pm to 4pm, it will involve two and a half hours of entertainment from Dereham Town Band and City of Norwich Pipe Band before mayor Beryl Bunning switches on the lights at 4pm.
You may also want to watch:
In the High Street there will be Scratby donkeys and reindeer, balloon modelling with Uncle Raz and Auntie Pearl, Arnie's attic characters, festive market stalls and a fun fair, plus Santa will be in his grotto in Wayland Hall (free entry).
In Swaffham the festivities on Friday will run from 2pm to 8pm.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 4 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 5 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 6 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 7 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 8 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 9 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 10 Four-car crash leaves pregnant woman in hospital
Santa will be in his Grotto in Plowrights Place with two real reindeer, there will be an array of food, gift and craft stalls and a small children's fun fair, and musical entertainment from the Thursford steam organ, Fakenham Town Band and Swaffham's Oasis Church Singers.
The lights will be switched on at 6pm.
Thetford's much anticipated Winter Wonderland is also taking place this weekend, on Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 4pm.
Tickets for the paid-for attractions will be available at King's House and can also be purchased in advance at the lights switch-on.