Breckland Council leader stands down for ‘personal and private reasons’
- Credit: Breckland Council
Breckland councillor Michael Wassell is to stand down from his role as leader of the council.
Mr Wassell confirmed the news today and said the decision was due to 'personal and private reasons.'
He will formally resign from his post at the next full council meeting on March 31, when a new leader of the council will be appointed.
Mr Wassell, who represents the Conservative party, continues in his role as Watton ward member, along with councillor Claire Bowes and councillor Keith Gilbert.
Mr Wassell said: 'For personal and private reasons I have made the difficult decision to step down from the role of leader of Breckland Council.
'Building on the strong foundations of the past, I'm pleased with the progress the council has continued to make during my term of office as leader – and feel that I am leaving Breckland in a good position to move forward and continue to be at the forefront of local government.'
In a statement sent to members and officers at Breckland Council today, Mr Wassell added: 'I'd like to thank you all for your support during my time as leader, which I have enjoyed tremendously, and look forward to working with you as I continue to represent the residents of Watton as their district councillor.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 3 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 4 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 5 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 6 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 7 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 8 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 9 'Fantastic' barn conversion with golf simulator and games room is for sale
- 10 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
Mr Wassell has been a Breckland councillor since May 9, 2011 and was appointed leader of the council on September 5, 2013.