Breckland chairman leads tributes to predecessor, ex-Watton mayor and hardware store owner Roy Rudling
The chairman of Breckland Council has led members in a moment of silent tribute to two-times Watton mayor Roy Rudling who died last month.
Nigel Wilkin told yesterday's full council meeting Mr Rudling, who chaired Breckland Council in 2006-07, mentored him after he was first elected, and shared some of his memories.
To laughter, he said: 'Cliffy did say 'You will learn a lot from Roy, but for God's sake don't do everything he did'. I think we would all agree that one Roy in the room was enough. He thrived on debate and I think it sometimes seemed he enjoyed rubbing people up the wrong way.'
He said Mr Rudling and others ran a book on the length of council meetings, and he did particularly well during his year chairing its gatherings.
He said he was instrumental in the housing stock transfer and getting a good price from the sale of the Attleborough office.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'I did learn a lot from Roy and one thing that always stuck with me was he said to me 'Don't try to be someone you are not when being yourself is so much easier to achieve'. That's something I think we could all learn from.'
- 1 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 2 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 3 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 4 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 5 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 6 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 7 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 8 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 9 Couple in 80s given hospital treatment after alleged assault in village
- 10 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature