Brandon’s own Father Christmas to switch on lights
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
A market town is giving a special gift to its very own Father Christmas this festive season.
Chris Christmas, who will be turning 100 in February, has been invited to switch on the lights in his home town of Brandon.
A former Lieutenant Colonel and decorated veteran, Mr Christmas joined the army at the age of 16 and served in India, the Middle East and Europe for around 20 years.
His wife of 72 years, Kay, was a Captain in the Queen Alexander Nursing Corps and also served overseas during the Second World War.
Mr Christmas was given the opportunity to switch on the lights by Brandon Town Council in recognition of his contribution to the local community.
You may also want to watch:
His daughter Joan Dawes has speculated he may be the eldest person in the country to be pushing the Christmas lights button this year.
Before doing the honours, Mr Christmas plans to make a speech with sections in English, Polish and Portuguese (in which he has learnt some seasonal greetings for the occasion).
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 3 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 4 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 5 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 6 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 7 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 8 Hotel owner on directing The Only Way is Essex stars in Norfolk
- 9 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 10 Dinomania tour heading to Norfolk with giant dinosaurs that move
The switch-on event will be taking place on Sunday, December 4 from 4pm to 6pm, with the lights to be switched on at around 5.30pm and a fireworks display to end the night. After he has switched on the lights, Mr Christmas has been invited to the council chambers for a celebratory mince pie.
He will be joined by his daughter, who is flying in from her home in Tours, France for the occasion.