Brandon man, 58, killed in crash despite rescue bid
A 58-year-old man was killed when his car crashed, caught fire and exploded in west Suffolk this morning.
Anthony White, of Falcon Drive, Brandon, died after apparently losing control of his silver Fiesta while travelling west on the A143 at Pakenham, near Bury St Edmunds.
A passing motorist called the emergency services, saying the car had left the A143, gone up a bank and was on fire.
The caller managed to drag Mr White - who was travelling alone - from his car before it exploded, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Mystery surrounds the crash, which only involved his car.
The police closed the road in both directions for around six hours following the crash, at around 3.45am.
Mr White's family has been informed.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 3 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 4 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 5 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 6 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 7 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 8 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 9 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 10 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
Witnesses are asked to call PC Terry Harvey at the Bury Roads Policing Unit on 01284 774100.