Brandon kickboxer, 14, is aiming for top games success
- Credit: Archant
A young martial artist is celebrating a kickboxing success after securing a place in an international sports event.
Alfie Lynch, 14, will be competing in the World Martial Arts Games in South Africa after he excelled during a qualifying event at the University of East Anglia.
The Brandon lad will be representing team GB in the 'under 55kg' weight category at the games, which take place between October 14 and 17, and could face competitors many years his senior.
The Mildenhall College Academy student will be taking the 11-hour flight to South Africa with mum Natalie Edson and brothers Jack, 12, and nine-year-old Richie, who is also a keen kick boxer.
But he first has to raise the £2,500 needed for travel and the competition.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Edson said: 'Alfie is buzzing. He is a bit nervous at the moment because he is worried that he won't raise enough to go, but he is so excited.
'As a family we have always been sporty people. The boys have always said they wanted to do boxing or kickboxing, and they do football as well.'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
Alfie trains with Billy Brown's School of Kickboxing in Thetford, which is helping to promote his fundraising drive.
Ms Edson said: 'He has upped his training to six or seven hours a week and he is really focused on it. And he's trying to do a lot with the fundraising as well.
'At the moment we've got about £350 but I'm hoping with lots of little steps we will get there.'
In order to help her son towards his fundraising target, Ms Edson has organised a summer fair at the Jubilee Fields in Mildenhall on August 20, which will feature stalls and children's rides.
Go to Alfie's Kickboxing World Games Facebook page to find out more, or visit gogetfunding.com to donate. To book a pitch at the summer fair email Ms Edson at email@example.com