Boycie actor John Challis pulls a crowd in King’s Lynn
Excited fans lined the street for the chance to meet the man behind one of Britain's best-loved sitcom characters in King's Lynn today (Friday).
John Challis has endured countless calls of 'Marlene!' since starring in Only Fools and Horses as Boycie the dodgy car dealer from Peckham in the 1980s.
But the actor, who has appeared in dozens of TV favourites from Z Cars and Doctor Who to Last of the Summer Wine, takes it with a smile and is ever-thankful for Boycie.
'Marlene! is the one I get most often,' he said. 'But I should be so lucky that I have helped to create something that means so much to people. It's what you dream of when you start out in this profession.'
Mr Challis was at Waterstone's in Norfolk Street signing copies of his new autobiography, Being Boycie, which was printed at Lynn's own MPG Biddles.
You may also want to watch:
The book charts his life from birth to 1984, taking in his childhood, struggles as a young repertory theatre actor and his stage and television success.
'I have written reams of stuff and enjoyed the writing process enormously. I have such a good time and I try to write the not so good things with humour,' he said.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 7 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 8 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 9 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 10 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
After choosing to self-publish the book, Mr Challis chose MPG Biddles as his preferred printer and toured the factory, meeting staff, last year.
'I like King's Lynn, it's so pretty down by the quayside,' he said. 'It's got such a fascinating history with its Hanseatic past.
'I had a friend who lived in Burnham Overy Staithe and we used to potter about in his boat.'
Mr Challis is putting the finishing touches to the second instalment, Beyond Boycie, which is due to be published in September.
Being Boycie, published by Wigmore Books, is available now priced �9.99.