'Boy racer' guilty over death crash

A boy racer described as “an accident waiting to happen” was facing jail last night for killing one teenager and seriously injuring another in a horrific road crash.

A boy racer described as "an accident waiting to happen" was facing a custodial sentence last night for killing one teenager and seriously injuring another in a horrific road crash.

Scott Hunt, 20, careered off the road as he raced a friend's car through the streets of Dersingham, near King's Lynn, in June last year.

The heavy goods technician had lost control of his Land Rover Discovery on a left hand bend in wet conditions and ploughed into Jamie Griffin and Jade Rand, both 17.

Jamie died just days after the accident at Adden-brookes Hospital, Cam-bridge, while Jade suffered serious injuries and later had part of her leg amputated.

Hunt - who had admitted careless driving - was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving at Norwich Crown Court, after more than seven hours of deliberation by the jury.

There were tears from the two teenagers' families as the verdict was read out.

Most Read

Speaking after the verdict yesterday, Marty Griffin, Jamie's father, said: "It has taken 13 months for justice to come.

"Thirteen months ago he [Hunt] drove dangerously without any consideration and took the life of my son.

"We hope to start moving on now but you can never take away the heartache. Jamie is my first thought and last thought every day. We are grateful to the jury for taking careful consideration.

"It is a fantastic conclusion, there has been no form of apology or remorse whatsoever from him. If I was in that position I would certainly have written a letter."

In a statement, the family of Jade Rand said: "It is of some comfort to know that Scott Hunt will be punished for his actions but that will never compare to the devastating effect it has had on so many lives.

"Our daughter will have to cope with her disabilities for the rest of her life, but even that doesn't compare with the loss of such a lovely young lad as Jamie."

During the five day trial, the jury heard how Hunt had displayed a "propensity to show off" and charge round Dersingham in his 4x4.

On June 3 last year, he was chasing his friend Christian Butteriss through the village when he spun off a left hand bend on Manor Road, close to St Nicholas's Church.

As he spun off the road, he hit Jamie and Jade, who were walking home with four other friends from the Feathers pub.

In his closing speech on Thursday, Michael Clare, prosecuting, described Hunt as a boy racer.

He said: "This was effectively a race around the village. Scott Hunt was an accident waiting to happen."

Hunt, of Centre Vale, Dersingham, had pleaded not guilty to causing death by dangerous driving but had admitted careless driving.

He is due to be sentenced at Norwich Crown Court next week.