‘Huge explosion’ heard as bomb is detonated at golf course
- Credit: Archant
A bomb disposal team was called to a seaside golf course after the discovery of a wartime device on the fairway.
At around midday on Monday July 20, the police and Royal Logistical Corps Bomb Disposal Team were scrambled to the Royal Cromer Golf Club after a mortar bomb was unearthed on the course.
The explosive was discovered while ground keepers were doing some maintenance work between the seventh and 12th fairways.
Upon their arrival the RLC team removed the bomb from the fairway and took it to the practice ground where it was safely detonated at around 4.45pm.
Jamie Collyer, bar manager at the Royal Cromer Golf Club, said: “They were just doing some maintenance work, they were digging and found part of it.
“People on the course, told me [the explosion] was really, really loud,” he said.
On social media people described hearing a “huge explosion” and “massive boom” sending birds into the air coming from the direction of the golf course.
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 3 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 4 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 5 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 6 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 7 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk
- 8 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 9 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 10 Taxi driver hopes to be named Miss Voluptuous UK