Bomb disposal experts give all clear after ‘grenade’ alert at Norwich charity shop
- Credit: Archant
Bomb disposal experts were called to a Norwich charity shop - because of fears a donation of military equipment contained a live grenade.
Police put a cordon in the area around the Mencap Charity Shop in The Paddocks in Catton after a member of staff at the shop raised concerns this morning.
Norfolk police said they got a call at 8.50am from a member of staff who was worried about the contents of a donation box.
A police spokesperson said it appeared the donation had been made with good intentions, but that one of the items in the box was an old-fashioned grenade.
As a precaution, police asked an explosive ordnance disposal team to attend, and the Royal Logistics Corps bomb disposal unit arrived at the scene at just after 12pm.
Two members of the regiment were seen going into the Mencap store.
After just under 15 minutes they emerged with a small box and left the scene.
Shops nearby, including Morrisons, had been evacuated and are closed, and staff at the Morrisons were helping police make clear to drivers that the car park is closed.
- 1 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 2 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 3 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 4 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 5 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 6 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 9 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 10 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
However, after the bomb disposal team left at just after 12.20pm, the police cordon was lifted.
The car park was reopened, with staff and shoppers allowed back into the buildings.
A Mencap spokesperson said: 'At 8.50am today a member of staff at our shop in The Paddocks in Catton contacted the local police regarding an item that had been placed in a donations box.
'All safety procedures were followed. The police have now confirmed that the item is not a danger or threat to life and it has been removed. The shopping centre has now been reopened.'