Body found in pond believed to be Gordon Lloyd who had been missing for more than a month
- Credit: Archant
Police have confirmed the body of a man discovered in water in Dereham on Wednesday evening is believed to be that of Gordon Lloyd, who had been missing for more than a month.
Police have confirmed the body of a man discovered in water in Dereham is believed to be that of Gordon Lloyd, who had been missing for more than a month.
Officers, assisted by the Fire and Rescue Service, conducted a search of a pond in Northall Green, a popular area for dog walking, off Cemetery Road, at around 5.30pm on Wednesday and the body of a man was recovered.
Investigations continue, but the death is not currently being treated as suspicious at this stage.
Formal identification is yet to take place.
You may also want to watch:
But Norfolk police have confirmed the man is believed to be 69-year-old Mr Lloyd, from Dereham, who was last seen in the morning of Wednesday, March 1.
Inspector John Papworth, from Breckland Police, said: 'We received a call from a member of the public and we believe the body to be that of Gordon Lloyd, but formal identification has not yet taken place.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 4 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 5 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 8 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 9 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 10 Can you spot yourself at Let's Rock Norwich?
'We do not know, at this stage, how long the body had been in the pond.
'There are currently no suspicious circumstances.
'The next stage is to get formal identification from the coroner's office and then we will look to ascertain the cause of death.'
Mr Lloyd left his home in Wollaston Avenue, near Dereham Hospital, not far from where the body was found, on the morning of Wednesday, March 1.
A possible sighting of Mr Lloyd in the Gallowtree Gate are of Leicester was reported about three weeks after his disappearance.
A CCTV image showed a man fitting Mr Lloyd's description entering the Tourist Information Centre.
His family said he had been in an agitated state and his health had deteriorated in the past year.