Body builder’s Thetford gym celebrates 20th anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A competitive body builder who opened his own gym in his 20s is still fighting fit after two decades in the business.
Rod Price first opened Spartacus gym in a warehouse on Mundford Road in Thetford in 1996, using money he had saved during a 10-year career in the horse racing industry in Newmarket.
In 2004 he moved to bigger premises on Roman Way, rebranding as Body Concept, and has continued to expand his small business.
The recently extended 7,000sqft gym now offers free weights, a range of cardio equipment and personal training services.
And the 48-year-old has no plans to stop yet.
He said: 'I started to train 30 years ago as a hobby, which basically took over.
'I didn't have any help from banks when I first started. I sold everything I owned, even down to my clothes, to rent the factory unit and buy equipment.
- 1 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 2 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 3 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 4 One person rescued after crash on A47
- 5 ‘We need action now’: Flood hit Broads business backs river barrier calls
- 6 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 7 Tribute to keen mountain biker who died on ride
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Idah out, Hugill back in for Canaries?
- 9 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 10 Ambulance chief: 'I'm sorry.... things will get worse before they get better'
'I have kept expanding and kept pushing the business forward, but still tried to keep it very friendly with a lot of one-on-one training.
'I have been lucky to have very loyal customers and good staff for 20 years.
'I'd like to thank all the customers and staff, present and past, and everyone else who has supported me through the good times and the bad.
'I will keep going for another 20 years – the first have just flown by.'
Robert Lockwood, a personal trainer who works at Body Concept, said: 'Rod is very good and very fair. He is a generous guy and has been good to me and his other staff.'
On Friday trainers and the gym's four staff held a celebration for Mr Price in recognition of the milestone – complete with an indulgent anniversary cake.
Do you have memories of Spartacus or Body Concept? Email firstname.lastname@example.org