Body believed to be missing Norwich man Michael Seger discovered on Thorpe Road
PUBLISHED: 08:08 17 June 2015 | UPDATED: 15:33 17 June 2015
A body, believed to be that of missing Norwich man Michael Seger, was found in an abandoned house last night.
Officers were called just after 6pm to reports a body had been discovered at a detached, derelict home in Thorpe Road, Norwich.
Although formal identification has yet to take place, police believe it to be 52-year-old Mr Seger, of Fifers Lane.
The father of four was last seen at about 10pm on Saturday, March 7 in the Rouen Road area of Norwich.
His partner of 13 years, Sandie Smith, had made a public appeal in attempt to find Mr Seger, including posters, public searches and a Facebook page.
Earlier this month balloons were released to raise money to continue the search for Mr Seger, helping towards the cost of printing posters and travel.
But the search appeared to be at an end last night, when what was believed to be the body of Mr Seger was discovered in the grounds of a large house.
The home, which looked as though it had been empty for some time, had weeds growing through the driveway, and overgrown grass masked the front door and conservatory to the side of the building.
The windows of the derelict house had been boarded up, and police activity was concentrated on the garage at the end of a long, and overgrown driveway. The house was cordoned off and police forensic teams were at the scene.
Mr Seger, who went missing following a troubled last few months, was a regular competitor at Catton Parkrun and ran the Holt leg of the Olympic Torch relay in 2012.
Scores of people took place in a public search, and more than 5,000 people liked the Help Find Michael Seger page on Facebook, where last night hundreds left heart messages to show their support.
Speaking ahead of a search attempt in May, Miss Smith, a midwife, said: “I’ve got four children crying every night asking where their daddy is and although the police have been brilliant the public are my eyes and ears and the more people we have the more chance we have of getting some answers.”
A spokesman for Norfolk Police said officers were currently treating the death as unexplained, and a post-mortem examination would take place in due course.