Bodies to be removed from Norfolk graveyard

A Norfolk church has submitted proposals to remove the remains at a disused graveyard as part of plans to build a bungalow and garage on the site.

Officials at Diss Baptist Church have made an application to transfer graves at a former church in Croft Lane in the town.

The move comes after the church was granted a three year time extension to redevelop the former burial ground, which was first approved by district councillors ten years ago.

The baptist church, in Denmark Street, was granted a second extension to its planning permission for the land on the corner of Croft Lane and Croft Close last year. The plans received three letters of support and one objection and were not opposed by Diss Town Council.

Church officials have now invited relatives or representatives of anyone buried at the site to come forward by April 1 to make their own arrangements for the removal of the remains and reinterment at a different burial ground or cemetery. The baptist church says it will cover people's expenses.

Any unclaimed memorials will be removed and transferred and buried at the town cemetery.

In a letter to South Norfolk Council, the church committee said that every effort would be made to ensure the removal of the remains would be done with 'dignity' and a temporary 6ft fence will be placed around the site during the work.