Blur drummer Dave Rowntree helps Cavell Primary and Nursery School in Norwich raise over �1,000 at summer fete
Over �1,000 was raised for Cavell Primary and Nursery School at the Lakenham school's summer fete on Saturday.
Plenty of family fun was on offer at the school, in Duckett Close, with former Blur drummer Dave Rowntree the special guest helping the Friends of Cavell School raise funds.
Mr Rowntree - who unsuccessfully attempted to become Labour candidate for the Norwich South parliamentary seat at the next general election - helped auction the star lot, a signed Norwich City football, which raised �100.
The usual barbecue and fun stalls were enjoyed, along with headteacher Simon Wakeman taking his place in the stocks to get well and truly soaked, all in the name of fundraising.
Mike Allerton, chair of the school's governors, said: 'We had quite a lot of people come along, a good couple of hundred I would say, the best we've had for a few years.
You may also want to watch:
'It was a brilliant day. We've not got the final figures yet but we raised getting on for double what we raised last year, well over �1,000, so we are very happy with that amount and we were lucky with the weather as well.'
Mr Rowntree was involved as he is friends with one of the school's governors, Marion Maxwell, and although his music exploits with Britpop stars Blur may not mean much to the school's young pupils, Mr Allerton added: 'There were plenty of adults there with CDs to be signed! He proved to be very popular and was a very nice guy.'
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 4 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 5 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 8 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 9 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 10 City recruitment chief linked with Boro exit
These pictures were submitted using our picture and video sharing website, www.eveningnews24.co.uk