Region’s beaches awarded Blue Flags, as shock figures show one in four children have never swum in the sea in Britain
- Credit: copyright ARCHANT 2017
Shocking new figures show that more than one in four children has never swum in the sea in this country.
Research from Keep Britain Tidy also reveals that a third of children have never been on holiday to the coast and nearly one in five has never even set foot on a British beach.
The news comes as the charity today announces 12 Blue Flags and 18 Seaside Awards in the East of England.
In total, 65 beaches around the country can now proudly fly a Blue Flag – an international award which means visitors can be sure they are clean and safe.
And 125 British beaches have received a Seaside Award this year – Keep Britain Tidy's own award for beaches that meet the very highest standards for cleanliness and facilities.
Visitors to award-winning beaches can be sure of a clean, safe beach with great facilities and water quality.
Keep Britain Tidy's Chief Executive Allison Ogden-Newton said: 'Blue Flag leads the fight back for the Blue Planet. Our research shows that nearly two thirds of parents would prefer to visit beaches with Blue Flag or Seaside Award status, so growing the number of beaches with an award is vital to encourage more families to visit our beautiful coastline.
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 3 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 4 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 5 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 6 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
- 7 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 8 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 9 Norfolk glamping site with natural pool named among UK's best newcomers
- 10 7 pubs up for sale or rent in Norfolk
'Blue Flag and Seaside Awards set the standard for our beaches, including the war against the litter and plastic that does so much damage to our marine environment.
'Keep Britain Tidy leads the fight to create clean, plastic-free beaches. We are committed to creating a great environment on our doorstep for everyone to enjoy and offering a quality mark that shows everyone just how fantastic our beaches can be.
'It's brilliant to see so many beaches in the East of England and the rest of the country winning Blue Flag and Seaside Award status this year, thanks to dedication and hard work of beach staff and volunteers who work tirelessly to maintain the high standards. Hopefully next year we'll see an even greater number joining us as we drive up standards across the board.'
This year's winners will be presented with their flags at a ceremony today on Cromer pier, hosted by North Norfolk District Council.