Blind elderly woman rescued from Dereham bungalow fire

A blind elderly woman was taken to hospital this morning after her curtains caught fire in her bungalow this morning.

The woman in her late 80s, who lives on Dereham's Eckling Grange Christian residential care home and sheltered accommodation complex, is being treated for superficial burns at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH).

General manager of Eckling Grange, Stewart Barber, said she did not receive life-threatening injuries and was in a 'stable condition'.

The woman, who lived in the one-bedroom sheltered accommodation at the end of a row of four bungalows, alerted staff about the fire just after 7am.

One member of staff rescued her from the bungalow and two fire crews from Dereham arrived within minutes.

The elderly woman was treated by paramedics before being taken to the NNUH.

Mr Barber said that she had left her electric fire on overnight which was underneath a pair of curtains.

Most Read

The firefighters left the Eckling Green complex between 7.30am and 7.45am.

Mr Barber added that the bungalow was smoke damaged but not structurally damaged and will need redecorating.

No other properties were damaged in the blaze.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter