Fire destroys derelict property in south Norfolk

KW_HOUSEFIRE_BANHAM_APR22

Appliances from seven fire stations attended the blaze in Banham. - Credit: Kate Wolstenholme

A large blaze has destroyed a derelict building in a south Norfolk village. 

Fire crews were called to the blaze in Mill Road in Banham at 8.06am on Thursday, April 28, and found the front of the property "already well alight".

By the time the fire was put out the building had been gutted by the flames, losing most of its tiled roof and windows.

Most of what remains is the brickwork, with the wooden support beams destroyed by the blaze.

David Copeland, a Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service station manager, said: "When our crews first arrived at the scene, the front of the house was already well alight.

"The fire had broken through the roof.

"It was a great effort by the first crews who arrived at the property to get it under control, which took about an hour.

A fire broke out on Mill Road in Banham.

Crews used an aerial platform to extinguish the fire - Credit: Kate Wolstenholme

Most Read

"We're confident there was nobody inside but we were concerned as it is derelict so there could be rough sleepers or children playing."

Appliances from Attleborough, East Harling, Diss, Thetford, Long Stratton, Earlham and Wymondham attended the fire.

Crews used main jets, hose reel jets and an aerial platform to extinguish the blaze. 

A fire broke out on Mill Road in Banham.

A fire broke out in Mill Road in Banham. - Credit: Kate Wolstenholme

People living in the area were warned to keep their windows and doors closed and urged to avoid the area. 

Mr Copeland added: "Building control will assess the safety of the remaining structure.

"We'll visit every two or three hours for the rest of the day to check for reignition and that neighbouring properties are safe." 

A fire broke out on Mill Road in Banham.

By the time the fire was put out the property had been gutted by the flames - Credit: Archant

A fire broke out on Mill Road in Banham.

There were appliances from seven fire stations at the scene - Credit: Kate Wolstenholme