Martial arts sisters get their kicks by opening beauty salon
- Credit: Archant
They get their kicks in the rough-and-tumble world of top-level Taekwondo.
But two streetwise sisters have something completely different under their black belts when they step out of the octagon.
For Harri and Leonie Hemstock have combined their skills to open a beauty salon in Drayton.
The pair are 5th Degree and 2nd Degree black belts and multiple Taekwondo champions - and are also highly-qualified in the art of beauty and opened the salon in March.
Leonie, who lives in Wacton, has spent the past eight years qualifying and working in Norwich hairdressing salons.
You may also want to watch:
The 24-year-old said: 'Everyone is very surprised when they eventually find out we are black belts but it is not something we brag about. It just shows that anyone really can do martial arts. It has been a dream of ours for a very long time.
'When we were children we would always talk about how Harriet would be the hairdresser and myself as the beautician so now our dream is finally coming true it is very strange to be the other way round, but we are loving every second.'
- 1 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 2 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 3 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 4 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 5 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 6 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 7 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 8 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 9 Riverside pub welcomes customers again with new owners
- 10 Inquest into death of 22-year-old swimmer at Norfolk beauty spot
She added: 'I think our sporting success and discipline has given us the drive and determination to do well in our professions. Harri and I work well together and our top priority is ensuring our clients are delighted with what we do.'
Harri, 25, from Hethersett, said: 'Having qualified in beauty therapy and as a nail technician I really wanted to get lots of solid experience under my belt before starting my own business.
'When this opportunity came up in Drayton, a great location with plenty of parking, we knew we were ready to offer first class hair and beauty treatments to our clients.'
The pair both attended Caston Primary and Attleborough High and were taught Taekwondo by their father from age five.
Competing in martial arts competitions around the world will take a back step while the sisters establish their business but it is a sacrifice they are both willing to make.
Leonie said: 'Our energy and enthusiasm will be poured into making Hemstock's salon the place locals choose to come to look fabulous and be pampered in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere.
'It's the best thing we have done and to be able to work with your best friend every day is great.'