Birds rescued but tortoises die in building fire at Hoe near Dereham
A number of tortoises have died after being caught in an outbuilding fire near Dereham.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue services were called to Gorgate Road in Hoe, near Dereham, at around 7.30am today.
Although no one was injured in the blaze at the residential property, the fire took hold of outbuildings containing aviaries and a tortoise house.
A spokesman for the fire services said: 'No humans were injured but sadly a number of tortoises did die.
'The birds which were in the aviary were removed and so we don't believe any were injured.'
The spokesman continued: 'It's fairly low level, we were worried about some toxins as there was some plastic sheeting thought to be in the area, but that didn't turn out to be an issue.'
Fire engines from Dereham, Earlham, Fakenham and Watton attended the scene and firefighters used hose reels and wore breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.
- 1 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 2 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 3 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 4 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 5 Man dies after getting into difficulties in UEA Sportspark pool
- 6 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 7 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 8 Serial beggar jailed for 12 weeks after breaching Criminal Behaviour Order
- 9 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 10 Tribute paid to much-loved dad who died in cycling accident
All four crews remained there until 9.17am.
It is not yet known how the fire started.