Norfolk Drag Race UK artist to co-host special Radio 1 show
- Credit: BBC/World of Wonder/Guy Levy
A Norfolk Drag Race UK star has expressed their excitement about co-hosting a special show on a prestigious national radio station.
Bimini Bon Boulash, who used to live in Great Yarmouth, will team up with fellow drag queens Tayce, Lawrence Chaney and Jodie Harsh for Radio 1's inaugural "drag day".
Bimini, which is the stage name of Tommy Hibbitts, finished in the top three of Rupaul's Drag Race UK which was broadcast on BBC Three in January.
And now the former Lynn Grove Academy student will be hosting the Radio 1 takeover on Saturday, August 21.
The popular drag artist will be joined by regular DJ Dean McCullough when hosting the 1pm slot of the show.
Well-known DJs Clara Amfo, Arielle Free and Charlie Hedges will also be joining the other drag artists throughout the day.
Posting on their social media account, Bimini expressed their delight at being able to share their love of drag with a national audience over the airwaves.
They said: "I am so excited for this! I always listened to BBC Radio 1 and said one day I'll host a show. @thedeanlife [Dean McCullough] let's go baby!!"
- 1 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 2 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 3 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 4 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 7 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 8 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 9 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
- 10 Harley-Davidson motorcyclist dies in A134 crash
Bimini's slot will last for three hours until 4pm before Jodie Harsh takes over.
The special show will included surprise guests and special music mixes, rounding off with the Radio 1 Dance Anthems show which has been described as "the ultimate drag dance extravaganza" by DJ Jodie Harsh.
Bimini has often paid homage to their home county of Norfolk during their high profile career.
The 28-year-old made a bold initial impression on season two of Rupaul's Drag Race UK show by strutting down a catwalk in a Norwich City-inspired outfit complete with a Canaries scarf.
They shouted "Come on Norwich! Let's be having you" as they made their entrance.
Bimini will also be coming to see their Norfolk fans as part of the UEA Live, the University of East Anglia’s newly revamped literary festival.
They will be in attendance at the Norwich event on Wednesday, October 13 to celebrate the new drag book Release the Beast: A Drag Queen’s Guide to Life.