Bigger, roomier, all-new Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport flagship breaks cover
- Credit: Vauxhall supplied
Covered in camouflage, Vauxhall's all-new flagship model, which will be known as the Insignia Grand Sport, is in its final stage of development on UK roads.
The Insignia Grand Sport, which will make its world premiere at the Geneva Motor Show in March is a five-door hatchback based on a completely new architecture and has a wheelbase more than 9cm longer than its predecessor. But thanks to markedly shorter front and rear overhangs, it is only 5.5cm longer than the current model. The 1cm wider track and 3cm lower roofline emphasise the Insignia Grand Sport's dashing presence. These altered proportions give the next generation of Vauxhall's flagship a look that is more athletic and striking than ever before.
Using lightweight materials means Vauxhall engineers were able to shave up to 175kg off of the new model. Optimised packaging also allows for a much roomier interior and cutting-edge technology on board.
At the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show, Vauxhall gave a glimpse into the future of the automobile with the visionary Monza Concept Study – light, athletic and efficient, with cutting-edge connectivity. The new Astra, named Car of the Year 2016, follows this philosophy. With the Insignia Grand Sport, Vauxhall now launches a model that further realises these standards and takes them to the next level.
The newcomer is noticeably larger than the current Insignia both inside and out, putting it in another league in terms of size, roominess and comfort.
Rory Harvey, Vauxhall's chairman and managing director, said: 'Vauxhall is raising its game even further with the launch of the new Insignia Grand Sport. It will set new standards for design, efficiency, technology and connectivity when it debuts next year at the Geneva Motor Show.'
A frequent class-leader in the UK's D-sector, more 900,000 Insignias have been sold in Europe and it was Car of the Year in 2009.
- 1 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 2 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 3 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 4 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 5 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 6 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 7 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 8 Police hunting for Norwich man wanted for three weeks
- 9 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 10 Manchester City owner eyes Norfolk horse racing enterprise