Bid to move Wymondham play area sparks debate at annual meeting
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2016
A plan to move a play area in Wymondham sparked a fierce debate at the town's annual parish meeting.
About 40 people were at the meeting at Wymondham Central Hall yesterday evening.
Mayor Joe Mooney and town and district councillor Lee Hornby defended the town council's decision to relocate the play equipment to Browick Road recreation ground because of concerns over noise at the current site, King's Head Meadow.
Wymondham resident Julie Grant said the move would lead to anti-social behaviour and claimed the plan was against police wishes.
She said: 'The teenagers are going to be pushed back into town because you are going to have a play area where it's really not needed. How can you explain going against the police?'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Mooney said: 'I know some people don't like the decision which is fair enough but it was made by a democratically elected body. 'Browick Road is a recreation ground. It's not surrounded by residents like King's Head Meadow.'
The play area, which cost £75,000, was opened in 2014.
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 5 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 6 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 7 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 10 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
Other issues discussed at the meeting included the need for new council offices, the upkeep of the town's former sale yard site and the future of its farmers' market.
• Do you have a Wymondham story? Email Stuart Anderson on email@example.com