Beccles triathlon is big success as first-timers and pros compete side-by-side
- Credit: Andrew Florides Photography.
More than 170 athletes put themselves through a gruelling physical challenge in the Beccles sunshine over the weekend.
The fifth annual Beccles Triathlon greeted a mixture of regular athletes and first time competitors, as hundreds of spectators watch them swim, cycle and run around the course.
First established in 2013 by Beccles Triathlon Club, the event is now officially recognised by Triathlon England East Region League, and saw a shotgun used as a starting pistol.
The event saw competitors swim 480 metres in the town's Lido, before cycling a 20.3k loop to Bungay and back. The race was them completed with a 6.7k run around the Waveney riverbank to the finish line at the Lido.
Competitors were also welcomed to compete as part of a team, with different people taking part in each discipline.
You may also want to watch:
Vicky Beck, race director, said: 'It was a superb event and it was lovely to see both top athletes and beginners taking part, as well as the local community turning out in support.
'The committee would like to thank the many sponsors that supported this year's event, but a special, heartfelt thanks goes to the many volunteers marshals, officials and committee members who gave up their time to make this complex event look easy. It really is a team effort.'
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Man seriously injured after crash
- 4 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 5 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 6 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 7 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
Shaun Crowley, Beccles Lido director, said: 'As well as being one of the Lido's big fundraisers, we also want to ensure it remains a really inclusive, community event - not just for seasoned triathletes.
'It is awesome to see the smiles on people's faces when they complete their first ever triathlon.'
Mr Crowley added: 'Five years ago it was my dream that we have a triathlon at Beccles Lido. I had been inspired by the London Olympics and the Brownlee brothers.
'The brief was simply - the event had to appeal to newbies and be a professionally run event that would also attract seasoned, hardcore, triathletes, and it has.'
The fastest male competitor was Joe Skipper with a time of 1:01:32. The fastest team was The Hangover in 1:08:36) while Vicki Grice was fastest female in 1:22:37.