Beccles Town Youth FC host players from Hoevelaken as part of long-running tradition
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Young footballers and their families travelled from Holland to take part in a long-running tournament in Beccles.
For more than 20 years, Beccles Town Youth FC has been involved in an exchange with the Dutch club SC Hoevelaken.
It started in 1991, and now teams from both countries travel to visit and play against each other every three years.
On Thursday, a group of 85 travelled to Beccles to settle in with their host families from the club, before enjoying a weekend of sightseeing and football tournaments.
David Leech, youth section chairman, said the group was taken on a visit to Southwold on Friday, before the football tournament commenced on Saturday. And for the first time since 2015, the Beccles adults lost against their dutch counterparts.
You may also want to watch:
It culminated with an award ceremony at Beccles Sports Centre, where every player was presented with a commemorative scarf.
- 1 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Do you recognise this man?
- 5 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 6 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 7 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 8 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 9 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 10 How former teacher jailed for abuse of young boys was pillar of community