Beccles firm designs goalposts for 15,000ft-high world record football match on Kilimanjaro
- Credit: MH Goals
A Beccles-based manufacturer has helped to net a world record after answering an unusual commission for a football match being played at 15,000 ft.
MH Goals designed bespoke goalposts for the highest-altitude game of football ever played, when two all-female teams faced off on a volcanic ash plain near the summit of Tanzania's Mount Kilimanjaro.
The equipment was designed to be lightweight and easy to carry, and could be broken down into small parts for the eight-day climb to the pitch.
The game was played to raise awareness of the Equal Playing Field (EPF) initiative, which promotes respect for women playing or working in sport.
Mark Harrod, founder of MH Goals, said: 'As soon as we heard about this fantastic venture, we knew we had to get involved.
You may also want to watch:
'Not only is the EPF an initiative that's really close to our hearts, it was a technical challenge we could really get our teeth into. Everyone involved is really proud of what has been achieved and we look forward to working with EPF in the future.'
The match featured former Canadian defender Sasha Andrews, Germany legend Petra Landers, and Afghanistan international Hajar Abufazl alongside players from Argentina, Egypt, Mexico, Great Britain, the US, France, Jordan and the UAE.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 8 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 9 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 10 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
Erin Blankenship, co-founder of EPF, said the campaign's aims were clear.
'The lack of equality for and representation of women in sport is appalling across the board,' she said. 'Equal Playing Field is taking aim at the systematic inequalities girls and women face that limit their opportunities, acceptance and value as athletes and individuals, starting with those on a football pitch.'
MH Goals has already scored a notable success in the past season, having supplied goals for Premier League champions Chelsea.