Beccles councillor’s plea to be part of Royal Jubilee
A BECCLES town councillor is hoping to make next year's Diamond Jubilee celebrations 'a day to remember' and is urging people to share their ideas and get involved.
The Diamond Jubilee has only happened once before during a monarch's reign, for Queen Victoria, in June 1897.
Eric Wareham, Beccles town councillor, has stepped forward to develop plans for celebrating the big day.
He said: 'I was a 14-years-old during the celebrations for the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977. I remember all the neighbours of our street getting together to organise games and a street party on the green between the houses. It was a great time for all us kids, of getting together, bringing the community closer and having great fun.
'Let's make this a day to remember.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Wareham is calling for any volunteers and anyone with ideas for celebrating to contact him at the Town Hall via the deputy town clerk, Jula Janney.
He added: 'My favoured idea is to reward those children of Beccles who have a special story to tell – through either hardship, endeavour or managing to overcome personal difficulties to make a mark for themselves. I would be looking at inviting schools, organisations and the local community to put forward their nominations so that a representative group can take part in a celebration on the Sunday before the Bank holidays.'
- 1 'It's nonsense': Shoppers react to Norfolk's Tier 2 announcement
- 2 What counts as a substantial meal under Norfolk's tier 2 pub rules?
- 3 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 4 Man arrested after woman suffers broken collar bone in row over mask
- 5 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 6 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 7 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
- 8 Commuter trains halted as Norwich to London line blocked
- 9 'Incredible' donation pays for expansion of Norfolk's largest ancient wood
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
For more information e-mail the Town Council at email@example.com or call 01502 712109.