Beccles charity’s search for day place service users
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A Beccles charity making a positive impact on the lives of people with learning disabilities is searching for more service users.
Waveney Enterprises is located in the heart of the town and supports adults with mild to moderate learning disabilities.
It runs an arts and crafts workshop providing users the opportunity to develop their life and social skills, as well as to promote their independence, choice and confidence.
The charity supports people in producing handmade, unique and original gifts, which are then sold from their shop in Smallgate.
The charity is hoping to find nine potential service users to replace older members who have left.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah Hale, assistant manager, said: 'We have a fantastic group of volunteers and we run a shop where we sell all the crafts we make. The service users take turns to help serve the customers.
'It provides them with a worthwhile working week which maximises their self esteem and enables them to reach their potential in a safe and supportive environment.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 7 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 8 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 9 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 10 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
'We are really a fundamental part of the life of Beccles. There is a very nice atmosphere and everybody seems happy and content here.'
The charity was formed in 1984 and has a big team of service users, some of which have been attending since the very beginning.
Stella and Ricky have both been part of Waveney Enterprises from the start. They said they enjoy making arts and crafts, the friendly staff, and the chance to make new friends.
Arts and crafts the users make include blankets, rag rugs, embroidered cushions, deco patch figures, small wooden hanging figures, clocks and much more.
99pc of the items they sell from the shop are made from recycled materials, which are donated by local people.
Waveney Enterprises run yearly outings for their service users with bowling and pantomime trips as well as meals out, and they offer a monthly outing to Beccles Library.
Local drama company 'Fusion' also gets involved by running a weekly group.
A daily rate is charged for people attending, and anyone interested in finding out more should call 01502 716065, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.waveneyenterprises.co.uk