BBC Look East’s Susie Fowler-Watt announces the birth of her son on Twitter
Susie Fowler-Watt has given birth to a baby boy.
The BBC Look East presenter announced the birth on Twitter today. She said: 'Our gorgeous baby boy was born safe and sound this morning. @dunlopalex and I are biased, but he is beautiful! Name/photo to follow later.'
Earlier in the day, the newsreader, who is married to Alex Dunlop, who also works for the BBC, had posted a message on the social networking site, saying how she had gone into labour and was on the way to the hospital to give birth.
The newborn is the couple's second child. They already have a seven-year-old daughter called Lola.
The birth of Susie Fowler-Watt's baby boy is not the first time news has been broken on Twitter. Here are some examples of other times the social networking site has been the first with breaking news:
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Water outages hit homes across city
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 4 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 5 People released from car after crash closes road
- 6 Landlady warns community pubs are being 'crucified' by new measures
- 7 Norfolk hospitals have discharged over 1,100 coronavirus patients
- 8 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 9 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 10 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
The tragic news that Amy had passed away on July 23 last year broke first on Twitter through the many tributes left by fans.
The official Clarence House Twitter feed released details of the big day, such as the route the cars will take to and from the wedding and how they will celebrate afterwards.
Earthquake in the UK
Soon after the earthquake was felt at about 1am on February 27, 2008, people took to Twitter to share what had happened, around 30 minutes before BBC news broke the story.
With gagging orders in place for the media, Twitter was able to break the news of which footballer Imogen Thomas had an affair with.
Every Christmas @NoradSanta breaks the news of where Santa is in the world so that children everywhere know when they will get their presents.
Celebrities have taken to twitter for their big announcements particularly for births. With Dannii Minogue tweeting the first picture of her new baby boy, Susie Fowler-Watt tweeting she is in labour today, and Jake Humphrey also announcing he is having a baby with wife Harriet.