Battle of the batter! Wells chippy could be Britain’s best fish and chip shop
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A chip shop in Wells has been shortlisted for a national fish and chip award.
Platten's Fish and Chips is one of the six chippies in the East of England to make it onto the shortlist for Fish and Chip Shop of the Year.
The north Norfolk chip shop will compete with five others from across Eastern England over the coming weeks, as their menus, sustainability, marketing, and frying skills are put to the test.
They will be fighting for a place in the national top 20, and then be whittled down to a top 10. The overall winner will be announced in London in January 2018.
Marcus Coleman, CEO of Seafish, who coordinate the awards, said: 'This award showcases the best of the best, the local fish and chip shops that we all love to eat from.
You may also want to watch:
'The calibre of shops in this year's top 60 is outstanding.
'They are a true representation of our industry and sum up perfectly why British fish and chips are, and will always be, the best in the world.'
- 1 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 2 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 3 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 4 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 5 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 6 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 7 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 8 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 9 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 10 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
Reigning champions Nikki Mutton and Craig Maw of Kingfisher Fish and Chips in Devon, said: 'We were absolutely elated when we won the title of best fish and chip shop as part of the 2017 awards.
The owners added: 'We've been so busy serving our customers that we've had to hire more than 10 new members of staff since winning the title in January.'
The region's other shortlisted chippies are: Burton Road Chippy, Lincolnshire; The Cod's Scallop's, Nottinghamshire; The Elite Fish and Chip Company, Lincolnshire; Fishtastic, Peterborough; and Grosvenor Fish Bar, in Norwich.
There are 14 other categories in the 2018 National Fish and Chip Awards, and this year's ceremony will mark the 30th anniversary of the awards, known as the 'Oscars' of the fish and chip industry.
The awards celebrate the British tradition of fish and chips, and aim to showcase the best talent, quality and choice offered by fish and chip businesses across the country.
Previous Fish and Chip Shop of the Year winners have gone on to great success, with some experiencing sales increases of up to 100pc.
Platten's, in Wells, have been serving customers since 1966. The menu includes tradition fish and chips, as well as offering plaice, rock and scampi, in addition to a range of pies. All their fish is sourced from sustainable waters.