Battle lines drawn as county council contenders revealed in Great Yarmouth
- Credit: Archant Norfolk 2011
A former Great Yarmouth MP is among those fighting for election to Norfolk County Council, it can be revealed.
All 84 county divisions will go to the polls on Thursday, May 2, determining who controls the £1.5bn authority.
And candidates for the nine divisions in the Yarmouth borough have been confirmed, after nominations closed at midday today.
Labour, the Conservatives and the UK Independence Party (UKIP) are fielding candidates in all Yarmouth borough divisions.
Former MP Tony Wright is standing in Gorleston St Andrews division, going head to head with UKIP leader Matthew Smith and Tory Patricia Page.
You may also want to watch:
And leader of the borough council Trevor Wainwright will attempt to oust Tory county cabinet member Graham Plant, with UKIP candidate Alan Grey also in the running in Breydon division.
Two councillors have signalled they will stand down, with Bert Collins in Gorleston St Andrews and Tom Garrod in Yarmouth North and Central not seeking re-election in their respective divisions.
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 5 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 6 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 7 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 8 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 9 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 10 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
In another battle between senior politicians, UKIP county councillor Rex Parkinson-Hare faces a challenge from Barry Coleman, the borough's deputy Tory leader, Labour's Kerry Robinson-Payne and Shaun Wright for the United People's Party in Yarmouth Nelson and Southtown division.
A five-way contest will play out in Caister, with incumbent councillor Tory Ron Hanton taken on by Labour, UKIP, Green and Liberal Democrat challengers.
And Tory county cabinet member Barry Stone must see off borough cabinet member Brian Walker and UKIP's Colin Aldred to keep his Lothingland seat.
Councillors standing for election to the county council in the Yarmouth borough are listed below: