Banham pub is the place to be for cider lovers
- Credit: Archant
A pub in a Norfolk village that is known for its cider has won a certificate in recognition of the selection of drinks it offers to its customers.
The Banham Barrel, near Diss, has been awarded the Mid-Anglia Campaign For Real Ale (CAMFRA) Cider Pub of the Year certificate.
The family-run pub in Banham produces its own Jonty's early night and red night ciders.
Pub manager Frank Foster-Wright said: 'We were very surprised to receive this cider pub of the year award, mainly because they did the decision making through a secret shopper way.
'I'm not entirely sure why they chose the Barrel but I'm sure it is a mixture of making our own cider, selling a good selection over all and the pub having a lovely selection of locals that make the place very warm and welcome, maybe the staff too.' It is the eighth CAMRA award the Banham Barrel has been awarded.
You may also want to watch:
Ken Woolley, Mid Anglia CAMRA cider officer, said: 'The Banham Barrel has been awarded the prestigious Mid-Anglia CAMRA Cider Pub of the Year certificate in recognition of the fine selection of ciders available.
'We are pleased to give Frank and the Banham Barrel this award to acknowledge their dedication to dispensing quality ciders.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 5 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 8 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
'Cider was prominent around the Banham area and following a resurgence, remains an important local beverage.
'As well as drinking on their own, the local cider is particularly good with food principally pork, fish, pizzas and tangy cheese.'
This is the second year the Cider Pub of Year CAMFRA award has been going and it was won previously by the Wortwell Bell at Wortwell, near Harleston.
Is you business celebrating an awards success? Email firstname.lastname@example.org