Ball organised by Notre Dame Prep School will boost Norwich Door to Door’s bus appeal
- Credit: Archant
A ball being organised by a Norwich school will support people who need a bit of help to get around.
Notre Dame Prep School is organising the May 20 event - which is open to the public - to help the charity Norwich Door to Door buy a new minibus.
The fundraiser will also help to mark the 25th anniversary of the charity.
Kieran O'Herlihy, the school's headmaster, said he was looking forward to the ball, which will take place at the Top of the Terrace at Norwich City Football Club.
Mr O'Herlihy said: 'It is open to everyone and there are still some tickets available.
You may also want to watch:
'The evening will help to raise money for this fantastic charity which provides a lifeline to many people.'
Formed in 1992, the charity relies heavily on volunteers to run its fleet of 10 mobility buses.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 4 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 8 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 9 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 10 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
The vehicles operate on a dial-a-ride basis for people who are on a low income, and need extra help to get out and about independently.
Norwich Door to Door has more than 500 registered users and journeys need to be booked in advance. Kathleen Shirley, joint organiser, employee of Norwich Door to Door and parent of Notre Dame Prep pupils, said she was delighted to be involved in the event.
Mrs Shirley said: 'This event and the funds raised will really make a difference to the people who use Norwich Door to Door and it's a really lovely way to help mark the charity's 25th birthday.'
'We are grateful to Notre Dame Prep School for their generous support for this event to raise funds for Door to Door so we can continue to help our passengers who have severe mobility problems to connect with their families, friends and the community.'
Mrs Shirley said the charity's service was more important than ever.
She said:'The majority of our passengers live alone and without assistance they stay at home alone.
'Social exclusion can affect well-being and this is one way to help our passengers stay healthy and stop them from feeling isolated.'
Tickets are £50 and are available from the Notre Dame Prep School office, or Mrs Shirley on 01603 776732, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org