Badger ate my swimming pool and 72-foot dinosaur among Aviva’s strangest insurance claims and cover
- Credit: Archant
Norwich-based insurance company Aviva has revealed some of the most unusual requests made by its wealthy customers.
Looking back over the last 10 years, the company has shared a list of the strangest claims for insurance cover, which included a 72-foot dinosaur.
The most humorous claim is perhaps one involving a pesky badger.
According to the company, a claim was made for damage to the lining of a swimming pool which had been chewed and scratched by a badger. The customer sent the insurer a sample of badger fur retrieved from the filter as evidence.
Other unique claims include damage to a bedroom wall and electrical wiring after a harpoon gun used for scuba diving was accidently launched and the lucky escape of a classic car which was almost hit by a ladder - thankfully it was kept in a plastic air-filled bubble known as a CarCoon.
You may also want to watch:
Richard Alger, high net worth underwriter for Aviva Private Clients, said: 'It's fascinating to hear the more unusual requests for insurance cover as it goes to show that we all have unique tastes and interests.
'It can be difficult putting a value on a one-off item, like a life-size brontosaurus. However, we have more than 20 years' high net worth insurance experience alongside a team of expert valuers.'
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 3 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 4 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 5 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 6 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 7 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 8 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 9 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 10 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
The strangest things Aviva has been asked to insure:
• A 1970s Ferrari F1 car, still in full working order but kept on a plinth in a hallway in the house.
• A life-size fibreglass model of a Brontosaurus.
• A decommissioned MIG fighter jet kept in the back garden.
• A French holiday home let out for a week long nudist convention.
• An entire garage converted to house a collection of 1950s American petrol station memorabilia.
• £200k collection of first edition James Bond novels.
• Country house taken over by a film crew and turned into a haunted house.
• £700k mint condition vintage Star Wars collection, most of which is still in the boxes.