Early season success for Aylsham Chess Club
- Credit: Archant
A north Norfolk chess team has won its first match of the new season.
The Hurricanes, from Aylsham Chess Club, play in Division Three of the Norfolk County Chess Association league. They started the season with a 1.5 - 2.5 away win against the North Norfolk Shrimps - with Bob Grindrod and Russell Reeve winning their games.
The club now has two teams taking part in the league for the 2018-19 season.
The Spitfires, playing in Division Two, started the season with a 2-2 draw against the North Norfolk Seals - with Rupert Martin being the first Aylsham Chess Club player to secure a league win.
Mr Grindrod also participated in the recent Norfolk County Championships and came away with a trophy for the best placed player graded under 125 in the challengers section.
You may also want to watch:
Aylsham Chess Club meets on Monday evenings at Aylsham Ex-Service and Social Club on Hungate Street in the town.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 4 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 5 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 6 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 7 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 8 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 9 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
- 10 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab