Awards for Dereham branch of the Royal British Legion
The Royal British Legion's Dereham District Branch has won the Royal Challenge Cup after seeing the biggest increase in their Poppy Appeal fundraising.
The team of collectors brought in more than £30,500 last year and have already collected £26,000 this year with a number of months left to bring in even more. Former RAF engineer John English, poppy appeal organiser, said: 'For Dereham District Branch it is tremendous. We have a got ourselves good collecting bases and a very good team, and the people in Dereham and district are very generous and support us.'
He added the centenary of First World War had helped to boost interest in the Legion and the poppy appeal.
He said: 'The world is getting to be a bit of a scary place and our men and women in the forces still do their job and unfortunately still get injured. 'They need organisations like us to help them and their families.'
Peter Whitwell, Dereham's standard bearer, has also collected a trophy for being the runner-up in a competition between Norfolk's top standard bearers.
Mr Whitwell said: 'You parade and you get points for different drill movements, carrying the standard and smartness.'
While some branches of the legion have been struggling to recruit the Dereham branch has more than 150 members, ranging from their 20s to their 90s.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 3 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 4 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 7 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 8 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale
- 9 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 10 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
Is your branch of the legion celebrating? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.