Audit finds that Norwich is one of the most misspelt places in the country
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2013
Norrich and Norwitch are just two spellings of Norwich which have made the city one of the most misspelt places in the UK.
A booking audit by Travelodge of their website revealed that around 20pc of location entries are misspelt with Norwich being 12th in the top 20 most popular UK locations incorrectly spelt.
The UK's capital cities: London, Edinburgh and Cardiff are amongst the top ten misspelt places, with Edinburgh taking the number one position. London is the second most popular location spelt incorrectly and Cardiff the eighth most popular misspelt location.
Shakila Ahmed, Travelodge spokeswoman said: 'Every week, more than a million people visit Travelodge.co.uk, looking for a great value hotel room for either a business or leisure stay.
'Interestingly around 20pc of these visits include a search containing a misspelt UK location. The reason for this could be speed of typing or it's more likely to be that people are spelling a location as they think it's pronounced.
You may also want to watch:
'Some place names may be a preservation of an old spelling that made sense at the time the place was named but has little bearing on life today. The spellings could represent a pronunciation from any century from 1066 onwards.'
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 5 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
- 6 Owner of popular bakery rushed into intensive care 120 miles from home
- 7 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 8 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
- 9 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 10 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’