Disruption to trains at Attleborough due to chemical spill
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2013
There is continuing disruption on the trains at Attleborough this afternoon following a reported chemical spill.
Cambridge bound services will not be calling at Attleborough due to the spillage but trains will be stopping in the Norwich direction.
A spokesperson for Greater Anglia said they awaiting further instruction from police and apologise for any disruption.
It comes as police were called to the Banham Poultry factory, which is next to the train station, in the early hours of this morning following an incident.
A spokesperson for Norfolk Constabulary said: 'Police were called at approximately 1am following concerns for the safety of two members of staff.
'Officers remain on the scene and are liaising with the health and safety executives.'
Fire crews from Attleborough, Wymondham, Carrow and environmental protection units from Sprowston and King's Lynn North also attended the factory on Station Road to assist the police and ambulance. Crews wore breathing apparatus and used gas monitors to make the area safe.
Police confirmed the incident is linked to reports of a suspected chemical spill that has halted train services.
- 1 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 2 Meet the three Norfolk businesses featured in Antiques Road Trip
- 3 Family's heartache as dog dies after being hit by Amazon van
- 4 A146 closed after three vehicles and motorcycle involved in crash
- 5 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 6 Warning after dogs left 'limp or lifeless' by mystery illness
- 7 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 8 People come 'from all over the country' to try this Norfolk seafood platter
- 9 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 10 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
Greater Anglia has said disruption to train services is expected until the end of the day and customers wishing to travel to Attleborough towards Cambridge can change at Thetford for a service towards Norwich which will stop at Attleborough.
Customers from Attleborough who wish to travel to Cambridge are advised to travel to Wymondham and change for a service towards Cambridge. Both connections will take between 40 and 45 minutes.