Attleborough man completes 80 mile walking commute to Ipswich
An electricity company employee has completed an 80 mile round trek between Attleborough and Ipswich as part of Walk to Work week.
Phil Spiby, who works for UK Power Networks, took 11 days to complete the walk - wearing his 14-year-old hiking boots - in stages from his home to his office then back home again.
The 51-year-old press officer from Attleborough came up with the idea after receiving a company email encouraging employees to get involved with Walk to Work Week from May 14 to 18.
Mr Spiby, who usually only walks the dog on his return home from work, kept up his challenge come rain or shine, each day driving to a point where he could leave his car. He walked three to six miles on weekdays and eight to 14 miles on weekend days.
He hopes to raise more than �200 through sponsorship for the St Peter and St James Hospice in Sussex which cared for the wife of a colleague during her final weeks.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'When I first had the idea I don't think I appreciated how long the distance actually was, and I didn't really have any expectation of how hard it would be. It was just something I intended to do and complete, regardless of the difficulty. I'm raising money for a fantastic cause and let's face it, I may find walking 14 miles in one go quite daunting but other people run 26 miles in a marathon.'
To sponsor him, visit www.justgiving.com/The-Press-Ups
- 1 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 2 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 3 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 4 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 5 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 6 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 7 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 8 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 9 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 10 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch