Asbestos dumped on Weavers’ Way near Acle
- Credit: Eastern Counties Newspapers
A large amount of asbestos was illegally dumped close ti a public footpath near Acle.
The hazardous material was left nearby Weavers' Way, close to the point that the trail crosses the A47 between Acle and Great Yarmouth.
When discovered, asbestos is supposed to be disposed of by specialist contractors, as when disturbed or damaged it can release poisonous fibres into the air.
The material was discovered by a person who lives nearby and reported to Broadland District Council, who arranged for it to be safely removed.
The council is now appealing for further information about the incident, which is believed to have happened last weekend.
You may also want to watch:
John Fisher, Broadland District Council's portfolio holder for environmental excellence, said: 'We urge anyone with any information about this crime to come forward.
'Not only did the fly-tipping spoil the natural environment but it also created a possible hazard to the public. Any waste that is dumped is illegal and we have a zero-tolerance approach to fly-tipping.'
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 6 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
If you have any information about the illegal dumping of asbestos near Acle, or any fly-tipping incidents, please contact Broadland District Council's environment team on 01603 430534 or email@example.com.
You can also report fly tipping online at www.broadland.gov.uk/flytipping.