As Stephen Fry decides to marry in Dereham we look at what the Norfolk town has to offer
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
One of the nation's best loved actors – none other than Norfolk's Stephen Fry – made headlines yesterday with news of his plans to marry.
He is beloved across the country for his roles in shows such as Blackadder and A Bit of Fry and Laurie.
Turns in Hollywood blockbusters such as The Hobbit and V for Vendetta have taken him across the world.
But for Stephen Fry there is no place like Norfolk, and the actor has confirmed he is to marry partner Elliott Spencer, 27, in Dereham.
The couple will marry at the Breckland Business Centre, in St Withburga Lane, which houses the register office.
Mr Fry, who currently lives in West Norfolk, grew up near Reepham and attended City College Norwich before studying at Cambridge University, where he met his long-term collaborator Hugh Laurie.
You may also want to watch:
His personal assistant said the wedding was a private matter.
She said: 'Stephen Fry is very happy and proud to say that he has set the wheels in motion for a wedding some time in the future but no date has been set due to a busy work schedule.'
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 4 Part of A47 closed after concerns for woman’s welfare
- 5 Fresh calls for action over 'unacceptable' queues at A11 roundabout
- 6 Hundreds flock to see exotic birds in Yarmouth bushes
- 7 Holidaymakers rescued after boat lodged under bridge
- 8 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 9 Bargain Hunt films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 10 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
Speaking of the news, the 57-year-old, who presents quiz show QI, said: 'Oh. It looks as though a certain cat is out of a certain bag. I'm very, very happy of course but had hoped for a private wedding. Fat chance!'
He said 'adorable tweets' from fans had left him 'close to sobbing', adding: 'Thank you all SO much for your kind congratulations. Deeply touched xxx.'
Since Mr Fry has chosen Dereham to tie the knot, we thought we might offer some (slightly tongue in cheek) suggestions of what he could take in on his big day.
After taking care of the official business, the happy couple could head to the aptly named Big Fry fish and chip shop for their wedding breakfast.
While Mr Fry is often seen in the stands at Carrow Road, where he is a director, he would be assured of a warm welcome at Dereham Town FC's Aldiss Park should he wish to see the Magpies in action.
Having filmed the television series Kingdom there, Mr Fry will be familiar with Swaffham which is just a short drive along the A47. Should he wish to have his stag do there he could enjoy a pint at the Red Lion and stay at Strattons Hotel.
While Mr Fry is used to QI, he could ask for a wedding list from Dereham's QD. If he wants to get a taste of Tinsel Town, Mr Fry could head to the Hollywood Cinema.
Do you want to wish Mr Fry well? Email email@example.com