As Cromer cafe is named in nation’s bucket list for places to eat, let us know where would be on your list for Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
A Cromer café and its locally-caught crab salad is rubbing shoulders with some exotic worldwide venues on a new food lovers 'bucket list.'
Having seafood by the sea at the Jetty Café is bracketed in the same 50 must-do's before you die as:
• Having breakfast in New York's Carnegie deli, famed for its bulging pastrami sandwiches with 1lb of meat inside
• Sampling Sushi at the world's biggest fish market in Tokyo
• Eating Moroccan food at the vibrant Jemaa el Fna Square night market in Marrakech, where stalls mingle with snake charmers and monkey trainers
You may also want to watch:
• Afternoon tea and scones at Betty's famous Harrogate cafe amid fine china and piano music
They all feature in the Kenwood Food Lovers Bucket List - compiled by culinary experts including TV chef Simon Rimmer and restaurant critic Giles Coren.
- 1 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 2 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 3 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 4 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 5 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 6 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 7 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 8 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 9 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 10 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
It aims to highlight the essential food experiences every Briton should have in their lifetime - from restaurants to visit and culinary adventures around the world to ingredients to try and recipes to make at home.
They include 'fresh seafood by the sea' where people are encouraged to sample crab sandwiches or platters of seafood while 'boats bob up and down on the water and gulls soar overhead.'
It recommends the crab salad at the Jetty Café, in High Street, which has won awards in the local crab and lobster festival food trail.
Inside the café - a neat powder blue building nestling between a Barclays Bank and a Budgens store - the owners are thrilled but modest about their inclusion in such a sparkling list.
Louise Gillespie, who owns and runs the venue with husband Dave, said: 'We are thrilled that The Jetty Café and Cromer have been mentioned in the list.' They were being 'realistic' and not expecting a huge surge of customers on the back of the bucket list mention, but happy that it highlighted how special crab was and would hopefully bring more people to the area to help with tourism.
Their food is sourced from local suppliers, including crab from Davies' shop in Garden Street.
The couple took over the café two years after a career change, having both been mental health nurses. Louise was an 'enthusiastic entertainer' who liked cooking for family and friends, who had realised the dream of running a café.
They were pleased to get mentions in Country Life and Countryfile magazines, but the bucket list inclusion came as a complete surprise to them.
Explaining the list Simon Rimmer said: 'We've pulled together what we believe to be the ultimate, unmissable gastronomic experiences for food-loving Brits. From the simple pleasures of a fresh crab sandwich eaten on the beach, to soaking up the spice markets of Marrakech, there's something on there for everyone. We hope it inspires foodies to get out and try new things, or even create their own food bucket lists to munch their way through.'
• Now it's over to you. We want to know which places to eat would be on your Norfolk bucket list. Post in the comments section below.
• You can also download our Norfolk Food & Drink app for your iPad or iPhone by clicking here